Sunday, May 8

Mommy vs. Mom

Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, teachers, counselors, guardians, or anyone else who takes on maternal role to impact the life of someone else!


Four years of being a mother has presented me with the most fulfilling years of my life. There have been ups, downs, and turn-arounds, but ultimately, P simply makes life better.

Four years brings about a lot of changes for a little person. One minute, they're all tiny, cute, and buttoned-up in some kind of themed romper. The next minute, they're just romping around non-stop.

A couple of weeks ago, I sat and thought about how much P has changed since I first met him. Granted, he is still as active now as he was in the womb (especially at night), but so much about him is different.

And while he has been going through numerous changes of maturing, learning, discovering, and just living, I've realized that so have I. In the beginning, I was "Mommy". And now, I've become "Mom".

How?

See for yourself:

First, it was:
"Mommy...help!" ...when he would take it upon himself to climb on a tall chair, but would get stuck trying to get down.
(I would smile and think it was cute.)
Now, it's:
"Mom! Watch this!" ... as he's flying off the back of the couch, arms and legs flailing, with his "Superboy" cape on.
(I hold my breath and reach my arms out from afar.)

~~~~~

First, it was:
"Mommy, I scared!"...while burying his head into some part of my body whenever we came across a dog of any size, shape, or breed.
(I held him close to protect him.)
Now, it's:
"See, Mom, he's nice. You can pet him!" ...while patting the head of his aunt's leashed up Rottweiler... that's the same height as he is.
(I smile nervously while trying to quickly and calmly coax him away from the dog.)

~~~~~
First it was:
"Mommy, gimme phone! I wanna tawk!" ...whenever I was engaged in a conversation on the telephone... with anyone.
(I found it entertaining.)
Now, it's:
"No. I can't talk right now, Mom. I busy," ...whenever his grandmas, aunts, or uncles call for him.
( I find it a little embarrassing.)

~~~~~
First, it was:
"Mommy, see?"...while waving clean and very wet hands in the air after washing them.
(I would smile proudly at his fondness for cleanliness.)
Now, it's:
"Wook, Mom, wook!" ...when he's creating a tsunami in the bathtub for the sake of his Power Ranger action figures and the plethora of other toys.
(I shake my head disapprovingly at the mess he's creating....oh, and he's getting better with his L's)

~~~~~
First, it was:
"Mommy, I hungry!" ...when he was ready to eat whatever I would serve him.
(I would willingly oblige.)
Now, it's:
"Moooom, don't forget the ketchup and my toy!" ...while wagging his index finger at me at the drive-thru to get his chicken nugget Happy Meal.
(I ask myself "Who does this kid think he is?")

~~~~~
First, it was:
"Mommy!Mommy!Mommy!" ...when he simply needed attention.
(I would laugh and play with him.)
Now, it's:
"No, thanks, Mom!" ...whenever I ask him for a hug and a kiss.
(I frown, a little heartbroken.)

~~~~~
First, it was:
"Mommyyyy...dooooone!" ... when he first began using the potty and signaled to me that he was finished.
(I was glad to even get to this point.)
Now, it's:
"Mom, let me do it!" ... when we're in a public restroom, and I try to help out in order to prevent him from touching anything.
(I'm a bit germaphobic, so this is probably the single most difficult thing that I've had to face...and there have been many difficult things.)
(I'm still wondering how to get past this point.)

~~~~~
And speaking of using the restroom...
First it was:
"Eww, Mommy, that's nasty!" ...whenever he did #2. (I had to laugh.)
Now, it's:
"Look at that one, Mom! That wooks wike a hot dog! (...or a fish...or a boat...or grapes...or just "it's hiding") ...whenever he now does #2.
(I still laugh.)


So, now do you understand my perplexity?
How did we get to this point?
How did I go from being the "Mommy" that he was totally dependent upon to the "Mom" whom he hardly needs help from?

I know, I know.

It's a part of his growing up.

And mine, too.

~~~~~

In honor of the little boy who made me a mommy mom, here's my little dedication to him:

 

3 comments:

  1. What a cutie he is! I can't help you with the mommy to mom question - I'm not a mom, sorry! But, I sure it is fun watching him grow and change so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's precious. Happy Mother's Day! It only goes faster from here. Somebody once told me the days are long, but the years are short and it's so, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is absolutely adorable! This post made me tear up a little. My 3-year old is approaching that stage and while it's fun watcing them grow, it's so incredibly sad, too! I want my babies to stay my babies!!

    Happy (late) mom's day to you! Little P is a lucky guy to have such an awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete