Thursday, March 22

Today's Lesson: Learn the Lingo


Top - NY&Co (Marshall's)
Skirt - Forever 21
Shoes - Nine West (Ross)
Earrings - Forever 21
Ring - Loft



 Apparently, I'm not as hip as I thought I was.

Today, with one of my classes, I was trying to be humorous (again, my downfall) and, while doing my "homemade-JJ Evans- jive-turkey- swagger-walk" across the room, I made the statement (referring to the narrator of the story that we were reading) that,

"He wanted to have a l'il shorty by his side."

Unanimously, the crowd went wild.

Not because they appreciated my hip-ness.

But because I obivously had none.

I was promptly and emphatically corrected on my mispronunciation of the term "shawty". 

And what really surprised me was that almost every single student knew the "correct" way to pronounce this slang term (how could they know and I not know!?), and they were serious about correcting me.

So, what can I say?  This English-teacher-shawty stands corrected.


11 comments:

  1. You're so freaking cute! I love always seeing your put-together outfits.

    BAHA, it's weird to hear you, and my other teaching friends, tell stories about classroom antics because I still feel like I should be in High School and laughing at the teachers! lol It's been 10 years this fall. WTF?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is hilarious! I think I am hip, but then Kayla always tells me otherwise :) You look absolutely adorable. That skirt is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this look! The earrings are the perfect pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, that is funny. I love this skirt and especially paired with that striped top!! You may not know your slang but you are stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great! Love this outfit, so cute with the stripes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaa.so cute outfit...i love ur sense of style..really intersting
    btw mabbe we can follow each other? hope u like to do it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha!!! That's funny! I love that skirt!! I didn't know F21 carried skirts that would cover my booty. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blue!! My absolute favorite color! We certainly have some of the stories to share. 1 way I figured out to get my students to keep me cool and hip is to spend a loooooonnnnngggng time on figurative language (wink) at the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful in blue! Love your skirt!:*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, that's hilarious. I can't imagine being corrected on slang!

    On the bright side, you are seriously gorgeous in blue.

    ReplyDelete